Disclaimer

These items are not for sale through this blog.

Sellers may be contacted through their kijiji posts. If the posts on kijiji have been removed, items have been sold or are no longer available. A link to each kijiji ad is located at the bottom of each blog post.

Prices listed do not necessarily reflect accurate market value. Details such as year, make, model and condition are listed here as they are found in the original ads and in some cases may be inaccurate.

"Like" Canadian Vintage Guitar Hunt on facebook BY CLICKING HERE

Wednesday 1 August 2012

1950's COMMANDER Archtop Acoustic Guitar






Spanish guitar. Good condition. f holes. Floating bridge. It was mostly used to play Steel guitar style. The following is the description of the guitar from an old Eaton’s catalogue from the late 1940’s. "De Luxe Auditorium Guitar. A beautiful instrument of professional quality with good tone and volume. Highly polished and richly shaded. Arched top and back of well-seasoned birch. Top edge trimmed with white celluloid. Oval fingerboard, adjustable bridge, large celluloid guardplate mounted on nickel-plated bracket, nickel-plated trapeze tailpiece. The price in the catalogue was $23.95."
 
$40

Seller is from Toronto, ON
CLICK HERE TO VIEW AD ON KIJIJI

7 comments:

  1. Does anyone know where I could find a guitar like the one in the above pictures? It is an arch top guitar from the late 1940's branded with the name "COMMANDER".
    Our father had this model guitar when we were small kids in the 1950's. The original old guitar got damaged and destroyed through the years and we would like to find one like it.
    We have lots of pictures of him playing the guitar when we were kids. We are in the process of putting together a tribute to him in the old homestead which will include a showcase to include a guitar like the one he had and all the music he played for us.
    I hope someone out there can help us find one of these guitars. Please feel free to contact me.
    Thanks.
    Julian Edwards
    709 632-7253
    jmedwards@warp.nfld.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this one is for sale here in Liberty, Mo for $200 https://offerup.com/item/detail/622690675/

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information. I had a look at the guitar and it is a Commander model but a variant from the one I'm looking for. The one I want is exactly like the one in the above pictures with block fret board inlays and a pear shaped logo symbol on the headstock.
      I appreciate you taking the time to pass the information along to me and would appreciate it if you could also let me know if another one pops up for sale in your area. The picture of the one you sent to me depicts exactly what we want to do with the guitar as a tribute to our father in the old homestead, a sort of showcase with his guitar and music.
      Thanks again.
      All the best to you!!
      Regards,
      Julian

      Delete
  2. There is one for sale in my city, Shawnee, Kansas. they are asking 300 dollars, I will give them
    Your email and phone number

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pedrito,
      Thank you for responding to my request. It is very much appreciated!!
      If you could pass along my contact information to who ever has the guitar for sale that would be great.
      Or, if I had their contact information I could contact them.
      I will wait to hear from them.
      Thanks again.
      Regards,
      Julian

      Delete
    2. Hi again Pedrito,
      I haven't heard anything from them on the guitar. Do you know if the guitar is still available?
      If it is, would you be able to provide me with their contact information and I can get in touch with them myself?
      I would really like to get this guitar.
      Thanks for your help.
      Regards,
      Julian

      Delete
  3. I DO HAVE A COMMANDER GUITAR LIKE IN THE PICTURE,ONLY THING I SEE DIFFERENT MINE DOSE NOT HAVE THE BLOCK FRET BOARD INLAYS.THANKS,LYLE

    ReplyDelete